Can I Make a Will or Change my Will During COVID-19 With Social Distancing?
With increased fears surrounding the current pandemic, people are thinking more about wills than usual. At SMP Law, we have always posted the importance of having a will and planning your estate. In our previous posts: “Plan Ahead”, “Who Should Make a Will“, “Do I Need a New Will Once I’m Remarried“, and “Blended Families and Estate Planning“, we have outlined various factors in preparing a will and planning your estate, so please review those for further information.
With the current pandemic of COVID-19, many “normal” practices that we are accustomed to have now changed. Many businesses are closed or offering their services remotely. Some are slowly starting to reopen with new protocols to protect your safety. To adapt, the Government of Ontario has made an emergency order that wills can be executed “virtually” during the COVID-19 pandemic. This SiMPly means that wills can be signed and witnessed by video conference rather than in person. SMP Law is equipped to meet with you via video conference in the drafting or changing of your will and we are committed to ensuring you understand all your options when making these important decisions. SMP Law can now also meet you at the office, in person, with the following safety protocols:
- Meetings with our clients will be by appointment only. This will allow us the time to prepare for the meeting and take the precautionary steps to ensure our safety, and yours.
- If you are experiencing any symptoms known to COVID-19 (cough, sneezing, fever, etc), we regretfully cannot facilitate any person to person meetings at this time. We can arrange an appointment via telephone call or videoconference so that we can assist you.
- If you have travelled or have been in contact with anyone known to have COVID-19, we trust that you have followed the 14-day isolation period as recommended by the World Health Organization, Provincial and Federal health official and the Government officials.
During meetings, the following measures are being taken to reduce risk of exposure;
- PLEASE bring a mask to wear or we can provide you with one;
- PLEASE sanitize your hands using our HANDS-FREE dispenser. Simply hold your hand below the dispenser head and it will discharge an appropriate amount to sanitize your hands;
- PLEASE be aware that our staff will be wearing a face shield during all meetings for their safety and yours;
- PLEASE refrain from direct contact with our staff and maintain the 6 feet social distancing. This includes meetings in our boardroom. There is a designated seat for clients;
- PLEASE refrain from touching surfaces where at all possible;
- PLEASE refrain from sharing writing instruments with our staff, we will provide you with a pen to keep;
- All meeting areas will be properly sanitized after each meeting.
Contact us anytime at SMP Law to help SiMPlify your legal matter at 905-565-9494 or email email@example.com if you have any questions or would like to book an appointment to meet and discuss your situation and how we can help.